Pretzel Rolls

Pretzel Rolls.JPG

How many times have you bought a sandwich that looked very promising, only to find out that while the stuffing was really good, the bread that was used was kind of stale or had a very bland flavor that eventually made that great looking sandwich a very bad experience?

Sometimes we tend to forget that, for a truly good sandwich, the first and most important thing is the nest in which all the ingredients will be placed and that is the bread.

In Greece we have a variety of breads with different techniques, methods and ingredients, but I honestly believe that the country that has taken bread making one step further is Germany.

Pretzel Rolls.JPG

I have visited this country many times in the past for business purposes and the one thing I was expecting the most while staying there, was breakfast and the rich variety of breads sitting comfortably on the hotel’s buffet.

For me and I think for many others, bread is not only an essential component of one’s everyday diet, but also a true pleasure of senses. I could very easily eat a whole loaf of bread, plain and simple without anything on or in it and that could be my entire meal.

These pretzel rolls immediately caught my attention when I saw them in King Arthur’s flour, because I could picture them with butter and Greek honey on them as breakfast or with a spread of salted butter as an appetizer before my main course. They were perfect! They had this unique taste pretzels have and at the same time were so soft and rich in flavor inside. This recipe is a keeper and I will definitely make them again as it was also a pressing demand from my family.

Pretzel Rolls.JPG

So let’s make some dough here.

Pretzel Rolls

1 3/4 cups lukewarm water

2 tbsp margarine

1 tsp salt

4 cups all-purpose flour

¼ cup dry milk

2 tsp dry yeast

Pretzel Rolls.JPG

For the Bath

1 liter/ 8 cups water

1 tbsp salt

¼ cup baking soda

Pretzel Rolls.JPG

Put everything in a mixer and mix with the hook.

Knead gently the dough to deflate it and divide it into 8 pieces.

Let them rest for 10 minutes.

Roll each piece into a 30 cm/16 in. log.

Shape the logs into tight pretzels as in the pictures.

Take a baking pan and cover with a parchment paper.

Place the rolls on it and let them rest for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 200° C/ 400° F.

Take a shallow saucepan and put all the ingredients for the bath in.

Bring the mixture to a boil.

Pretzel Rolls.JPG

Drop the rolls into the bath in batches of two.

Cook for 30 seconds per side.

Remove and place them on the parchment paper.

Sprinkle with coarse salt.

Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until they have taken a deep golden brown color.

Let them cool a little bit and serve.

Pretzel Rolls.JPG

5.0 from 6 reviews

Pretzel Rolls

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Bread

• 1¾ cups lukewarm water
  • 2 tbsp margarine
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup dry milk
  • 2 tsp dry yeast
For the Bath
  • 1 liter/ 8 cups water
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • ¼ cup baking soda

1. Put everything in a mixer and mix with the hook.
  2. You know it is ready when a smooth, fairly soft dough is gathered around the hook and is somewhat sticky on the bottom.
  3. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let it rise in a warm place for 60 to 90 minutes.
  4. Knead gently the dough to deflate it and divide it into 8 pieces.
  5. Let them rest for 10 minutes.
  6. Roll each piece into a 30 cm/16 in. log.
  7. Shape the logs into tight pretzels as in the pictures.
  8. Take a baking pan and cover with a parchment paper.
  9. Place the rolls on it and let them rest for 15 minutes.
  10. Preheat oven to 200° C/ 400° F.
  11. Take a shallow saucepan and put all the ingredients for the bath in.
  12. Bring the mixture to a boil.
  13. Drop the rolls into the bath in batches of two.
  14. Cook for 30 seconds per side.
  15. Remove and place them on the parchment paper.
  16. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
  17. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until they have taken a deep golden brown color.
  18. Let them cool a little bit and serve.

Notes/ Σημειώσεις

• ¼ φλ. νιφάδες γάλατος
  • 2 κ.γ. ξηρή μαγιά
Για το Μπάνιο
  • 1 λίτρο νερό
  • 1 κ.σ. αλάτι
  • ¼ φλ. μαγειρική σόδα

1. Βάλτε όλα τα υλικά σε ένα μίξερ και ανακατέψτε με το γάντζο.
  2. Καταλαβαίνετε ότι είναι έτοιμο όταν μια αρκετά μαλακή ζύμη έχει συγκεντρωθεί γύρω από το γάντζο και είναι κάπως κολλώδης στο κάτω μέρος.
  3. Τοποθετήστε τη ζύμη σε ένα ελαφρά λαδωμένο μπολ και αφήστε τη να φουσκώσει σε ζεστό μέρος για 60 έως 90 λεπτά.
  4. Ζυμώστε απαλά τη ζύμη για να ξεφουσκώσει και χωρίστε τη σε 8 κομμάτια.
  5. Αφήστε τη να ξεκουραστεί για 10 λεπτά.
  6. Σχηματίστε κορμούς με μήκος 30 cm.
  7. Με αυτούς τους κορμούς φτιάξτε τα πρέτσελς όπως στις φωτογραφίες.
  8. Πάρτε ένα ταψί και σκεπάστε με χαρτί ψησίματος.
  9. Τοποθετήστε τα ρολά σε αυτό και αφήστε τα να ξεκουραστούν για 15 λεπτά.
  10. Προθερμάνετε το φούρνο να 200° C.
  11. Πάρτε μία ρηχή κατσαρόλα και βάλτε όλα τα υλικά για το μπάνιο μέσα.
  12. Φέρτε το νερό σε σημείο βρασμού.
  13. Ρίξτε τα ρολά σε δόσεις ανά δύο κάθε φορά.
  14. Μαγειρέψτε για 30 δευτερόλεπτα ανά πλευρά.
  15. Βγάλτε τα και τοποθετήστε τα στο χαρτί ψησίματος.
  16. Πασπαλίστε με χοντρό αλάτι.
  17. Ψήστε για 20 έως 24 λεπτά ή μέχρι που πάρουν ένα βαθύ χρυσό καφέ χρώμα.
  18. Αφήστε να κρυώσουν λίγο και σερβίρετε.

Notes/ Σημειώσεις
Συνταγή προσαρμογή από το King Arthur Flour

43 Responses to Pretzel Rolls

1. Yummy! These pretzel rolls look just perfect! I loved the brown hue and the perfectly puffed-up look.

3. Nadji says:

Ces pretzels sont magnifiques. Bravo!!!! J’aime beaucoup.
    See soon

5. If you are my neighbor, I’d totally convince you to become my baking teacher! Pretzel rolls look so good. I can eat them all day long.

7. Asmita says:

Hi Katerina,
    You really are one awesome baker! These pretzel rolls look amazing! I never tried baking bread at home but you have done it so beautifully.

Beautiful pretzel rolls! You are such a good baker, Katerina!

11. These look like the perfect breakfast for a Sunday morning – served with raspberry jam. Love the little jam pot too!

13. Louise says:

Hi Katerina!

I see you are still bewitching us with your amazing creations.

I’m not much of a baker and I certainly could not create such perfection but I sure do appreciate you sharing with us. Only to be able to enjoy just one roll would be better!

Thanks for sharing, Katerina…

P.S. Guess what, I missed you guys so much, I’ve rejoined the blogging world! I posted about my decision here.

15. Rebecca says:

These look so good your an amazing cook love German bread too have also been impressed with the bread in Scandinavia

17. MayMoh says:

Katerina, I have heard of rolls and have heard of pretzels but never thought of something with the 2 combined. You are making me learn more culinary terms….haha. I’m sure getting smarter by the day through blogging 😀 Love your pretzel rolls. They look so fresh and delicious. I don’t mind to eat all of them plain….mmm. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe. Hope you have more baking fun and a great weekend.

19. The pretzel rolls look perfect. Love the way you cleverly clubbed pretzels and rolls into one! Got to try this.

Your pretzel rolls are absolutely gorgeous. That’s a perfect way to start a sandwich!

23. grace says:

i love pretzel rolls! they’re perfect for so many things, especially big, juicy burgers. :)

25. Iglika says:

Katerina, they are absolutely delicious!

27. Looks great! I’d love to try it…

29. Amy Tong says:

Your pretzel rolls look gorgeous. They are definitely the perfect vehicle for the fillings that go in between the sandwich!

31. Genius recipe!! Love the idea of combining pretzels and rolls into one recipe!!

33. Your pretzel rolls look absolutely fantastic Katerina!!

35. rosita says:

Muy delicioso su pan Katerina me encanta su vajilla,saludos y abrazos.

37. Katerina, these look like heaven on earth! I know I’ll be hooked on these rolls.

39. Sandi says:

You are a gifted baker Katerina, you should sell these!

41. Salute for you my friend,
    i’ve never even thought to made any bread that available in any bakery store….
    shame on me!

I am pretty much obsessed with pretzel rolls lately! Best.Bread.Ever. Yours look so good!

Your pretzel rolls look perfect Katerina…I love baking bread but yet have to try pretzels…now you inspired me to give this a try…and I sure will let you know 😀
    Thanks for the recipe my dear and hope you are enjoying your week!

Your pretzel rolls are picture perfect! I hope to try these soon :)

51. Julie says:

Oh my I have to make these. I love pretzel rolls! I wish I had one (or two) now!!!

53. Hello Katerina,

I love to make my own bread.This reminds me of our very own bread and we call it Pan De Sal.Your bread looks amazing and Im gonna try it.

55. Sissi says:

Beautiful rolls, Katerina. Good bread is crucial and even though I cook more Asian food than European, I simply cannot imagine good cheese, good dry sausage, ham or even salad with supermarket bread.

57. katie says:

Yum! I’ve never made my own pretzel rolls mainly because I just started working with yeast this year. I would love to give this recipe a try!

59. The bread is soooo important for a sandwich and yours looks fantastic!

61. biky agrafioti says:

Αχ και να χα μερικά για αυριο το πρωί να τα τσάκιζα!

63. mia maria says:

Υπέροχα τα ψωμάκια σου Κατερίνα μου! Και οι φωτογραφίες εκπληκτικές!

65. Great recipe and those rolls look amazing. Saving this one for sure.. Also, your photo’s are beautiful.

68. Ξανθή says:

Θα το μελετήσω με ησυχία, μόλις γύρισα.
    Απότ ις φωτογραφίες είναι πολύ δελαστικά!!

70. Πάντα μα εντυπωσίαζε ο τρόπος με τον οποίο φτιάχνονται αυτά τα ρολά Κατερίνα μου!
    Πρώτα βράζουν και μετά ψήνονται!
    Δεν τα έχω δοκιμάσει ακόμα, πρέπει να είναι νόστιμα όμως!
    Φιλιά!

72. Wow Katerina, these pretzel rolls look awesome. Wonderful presentation too!

74. Magda says:

Πω πω τί όμορφα ψωμάκια! Δεν έχω δοκιμάσει ποτέ να φτιάξω pretzels αλλά με δελεάζεις. Συμφωνώ απόλυτα με την προλαλήσασα Χρυσαυγή για την φωτογράφισή σου. Μου αρέσει και μένα πολύ!
    Καλή εβδομάδα!

76. muppy says:

hoe perfect! i must bake these :)

78. CCU says:

These pretzel rolls are absolutely delicious 😀
    Yum!

Cheers
    CCU

80. Καλημέρα!

Υπέροχα ψωμάκια. Πολύ νόστιμα. Αγαπημένα μου…
    Αλλά και η φωτογράφιση είναι εξαιρετική, καθώς αποπνέει μια αρχοντιά και φινέτσα με τα όμορφα σκεύη που έχεις επιλέξει!!!

Φιλιά πολλά!!

82. Εκπληκτικά ψωμάκια. Πολύ νόστιμα.
    Αλλά και η φωτογράφιση μου άρεσε πολύ καθώς έχει μια φινέτσα και αρχοντιά με τα όμορφα σκεύη που επέλεξες!!

Καλημέρα!