Spinach and Goat Cheese Muffins

Mother! What can I possibly say about her, that hasn’t been said before me thousands and thousands of times? My grandmother used to say that mother is the child’s golden mattress. It’s true, there is an unbreakable bond between a mother and a child that can be found in no other relationship a person makes in his/her entire life.

Is it the fact that the mother actually gives birth to her child? Or, perhaps that this child grows inside her for nine whole months? Or, maybe that she is the person on whom the child’s entire existence depends for the first five years of its life?

I would say all these are true, plus a very strong genetically driven instinct that makes us long for our mothers and vice versa.

I was watching the other day a TV series on television. It is a lost and found series on which people try to find lost relatives and the cast of the show help them find them. I don’t normally watch it, because I believe they try to exploit human pain and this is something I detest, but that day my son was watching it and so I occasionally watching it as well between cooking and ironing.

The story pretty much a usual one. A mother gave her child for adaption, as she was very young to look after it. The child, the moment he learned that he was adopted, started the search for his mother. There was not a sad story behind it. He lived in a very happy family and his adopted parents gave him all the love in the world, but still he wanted to find his natural mother and create some kind of a relationship. I, then, realized how strong a bond is between a mother and a child, stronger than any other relation anyone makes in a lifetime.

I dedicate this to all the mothers of this world. Judging from my personal experience, I can tell you that raising a child and raising it so as to be a good and useful person in the society is the most difficult task I have ever encountered in my entire life. Every single day I strive to teach him how to survive in this world. Through him I see my own faults and inefficiencies and try to correct them, so as to be a role model for him. I can tell you sometimes this is too difficult for me. But my child is there and I cannot do otherwise than to keep going. My reward is the fact that I watch him grow into a fine person and that makes me really proud.

I made these muffins to show my love and affection to my family and they were just the perfect little thing to accompany a filling and rewarding meal. The original recipe comes from Taste but I changed the heck out of it.

Spinach and Goat Cheese Muffins

1/2 tsp salt and pepper

1 onion, chopped

1 scallion, sliced

3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped

3 tbsp olive oil

8 cherry tomatoes

Preheat oven to 175° C/ 350° F.

In a skillet add the olive oil in medium heat.

Throw the onion, the scallion and sauté until they are soft.

Add the spinach and sauté for couple of minutes.

Add the dill and sauté for another one minute.

Add the salt and pepper

Remove from fire.

In a bowl sift all the dry ingredients.

Add the bacon.

Add the parmesan, the egg and the spinach batter.

Crumble the cheese and stir gently to incorporate in the mixture.

Grease an 8-hole muffin pan and fill them with the batter.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until the muffins have risen and cooked through.

Remove from the oven and serve them warm.

With this post I participate to Brunch Week. Here are the other participants on the event for today.

Beverages

Mrs. Lund’s Fresh Plum Cake by The Vintage Cook

Chocolate Chip Banana Bundt Cake by Take A Bite Out Of Boca

Strawberry Scones by Kokocooks

Strawberry Mascarpone Tart by Kelly Bakes

Fruits and Veggies

Honey-Watermelon Soup by Culinary Adventures with Camilla

There are many prizes sponsored by the following companies for US citizens only.

You can check them out in the other participants’ posts.

5.0 from 7 reviews

• ½ tsp salt and pepper
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 scallion, sliced
  • 3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 8 cherry tomatoes

1. Preheat oven to 175° C/ 350° F.
  2. In a skillet add the olive oil in medium heat.
  3. Throw the onion, the scallion and sauté until they are soft.
  4. Add the spinach and sauté for couple of minutes.
  5. Add the dill and sauté for another one minute.
  6. Pour the milk, add the margarine and whisk until the margarine has melted and the milk is hot.
  7. Add salt and pepper.
  8. Remove from fire.
  9. In a bowl sift all the dry ingredients.
  10. Add the bacon.
  11. Add the parmesan, the egg and the spinach batter.
  12. Crumble the cheese and stir gently to incorporate in the mixture.
  13. Grease an 8-hole muffin pan and fill them with the batter.
  14. Prick several times the cherry tomatoes and place one on the top of each muffin.
  15. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the muffins have risen and cooked through.
  16. Remove from the oven and serve them warm.

Notes/ Σημειώσεις

• 1 κ.γ. μαγειρική σόδα
  • 70 γρ. Παρμεζάνα τριμμένη
  • 1 αυγό
  • 160 γρ. κατσικίσιο τυρί
  • 50 γρ. τυρί φέτα
  • 4 φέτες μπέικον, ψιλοκομμένες
  • ½ κ.γ. αλάτι και πιπέρι
  • 1 κρεμμύδι, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 1 κρεμμυδάκι φρέσκο, κομμένο σε φέτες
  • 3 κ.σ. άνηθο φρέσκο, ψιλοκομμένο
  • 3 κ.σ. ελαιόλαδο
  • 8 ντοματίνια

1. Προθερμένετε το φούρνο στους 175° C.
  2. Σε μια κατσαρόλα βάλτε το ελαιόλαδο σε μέτρια φωτιά.
  3. Ρίξτε το κρεμμύδι, το κρεμμυδάκι και σοτάρετε μέχρι να μαλακώσουν.
  4. Προσθέστε το σπανάκι και σωτάρετε για μερικά λεπτά.
  5. Προσθέστε τον άνηθο και σοτάρετε για άλλο ένα λεπτό.
  6. Ρίξτε το γάλα, προσθέστε τη μαργαρίνη και ανακατέψτε μέχρι η μαργαρίνη να λιώσει και το γάλα να ζεσταθεί καλά.
  7. Προσθέστε το αλάτι και το πιπέρι.
  8. Βγάλτε από τη φωτιά.
  9. Σε ένα μπολ, κοσκινίστε όλα τα στεγνά συστατικά.
  10. Προσθέστε το μπέικον.
  11. Προσθέστε την παρμεζάνα, το αυγό και το σπανάκι και ανακατέψτε.
  12. Τρίψτε το τυρί με τα χέρια και ανακατέψτε απαλά να ενσωματωθεί στο μίγμα.
  13. Λαδώστε ένα ταψί για 8 μάφινς και γεμίστε τις με το μείγμα.
  14. Τρυπήστε αρκετές φορές τα τοματίνια και τοποθετήστε ένα στην κορυφή κάθε μάφιν.
  15. Ψήστε για περίπου 20 λεπτά ή μέχρις ότου τα μάφινς να έχουν πάρει όγκο και να έχουν ψηθεί.
  16. Βγάλτε από το φούρνο και σερβίρετέ τα ζεστά.

Notes/ Σημειώσεις
Προσαρμογή από το Taste

50 Responses to Spinach and Goat Cheese Muffins

1. Johnc708 says:

This kind of game gives a real experience of cfkbdckkgeke

4. Johnc683 says:

Because here is a list of multiplayer games cegbfeeakefe

I do wish I enjoyed goat cheese! Maybe in something baked like this it would taste more appealing to me. Or, I could just substitute a different cheese :) These muffins look delicious.

8. bergamot says:

Looks great…

10. Julie says:

Delicious! I love muffins with goat cheese!

The flavors in those muffins look absolutely wonderful. Hope you’re enjoying a wonderful Mother’s Day!

14. Ira says:

Amazing pics! Just yummy:)

16. Μarion says:

Happy Mothers Day Katerina!

Δεν θα μπορούσα να συμφωνήσω περισσότερο μ αυτά που έγραψες.
    Ετσι νοιωθω κι εγω. Η πιο δύσκολη δουλειά του κόσμου αλλά και η καλύτερη.

Νοστιμότατα μαφινάκια αυτά που έφτιαξες για την οικογένειά σου. Το κατσικίσιο τυρί μ αρέσει. Και το ντοματίνι σαν κερασάκι στη μέση.
    Τέλειο

Φιλιά πολλά :)

18. I enjoy savory muffins as much as sweet ones. Spinach and goat cheese is a nice match and your muffins look really delicious Katerina!

20. Sweet post, Katerina. I love savory muffins and the goat cheese added here :)

22. Asmita says:

Wow Katerina,
    I love these muffins. Could easily gobble a whole tray of them.

24. grace says:

i can really get into this whole savory muffin trend–it’s very open to all kinds of possibilities. my favorite thing about these is the tomato on top–what a great touch!

26. Love the idea of savoury muffins – the spinach and goats cheese sound like an ideal brunch!

28. rebecca says:

these look great and I agree such a hard but rewarding job being a mum hugs and happy mothers day

30. I have never had savory muffins before, but this just looks fantastic!

32. rosita says:

Se ve muy bien absolutamente delicioso,abrazos y abrazos.

34. Great write up Katerina! Delicious savory treat for mother’s day! Looks so tempting with topping of cherry tomato!

I’m still trying to figure out what to make for my mom for mother’s day..sadly we are not doing brunch so I won’t be able to make these cute muffins for her!

And my greek easter was fun! Quite definitely from Catholic easter, though.

38. Barbara says:

Looks as though you like goat cheese as much as I do! Super recipe, Katerina. The little tomato on top is the perfect touch.

40. I have yet to try savoury muffins. I love your version…it looks healthy and delicious.

42. mjskit says:

These savory muffins look absolutely scrumptious! I love the ingredients – the spinach, feta, and BACON! This recipe is definitely a keeper!

44. A beautiful post Katerina and so many truths. Love all the intense fine Greek flavors packed in a net and gorgeous muffin!

46. Wow – what a unique muffin. I love the little tomato peeking out of the top, too – very cute!

What a delicious idea for brunch week. I’d love your savory treats for an afternoon snack.They are beautiful topped with the cherry tomato :)

PS…being a mom is the hardest job I’ve ever had! But lots of rewards, too.

50. This is a nice change from the regular sweet muffin! Looks awesome…

52. Χρόνια πολλά Κατερίνα μου, Χριστός Ανέστη!
    Ειλικρινά η παράγραφος που έγραψες σχετικά με τη μητρότητα και το τι σημαίνει να μεγαλώνεις ένα παιδί, εκφράζει απόλυτα τις σκέψεις μου!

Τα μάφινς σου είναι απλά συγκλονιστικά! Τι υλικά είναι αυτά! Ένα και ένα είναι όλα τους! Πρέπει να είναι θεσπέσια!
    Φιλιά πολλά!

54. Debra says:

I adore these. I always forget about making savory muffins for breakfast (or brunch)!

56. These savoury muffins sound terrific with the combo of the flavours and nutrients. Love them!

58. I love the cherry tomato nestled in each muffin!

60. Gourmantine says:

Beautiful post Katerina, I smiled all the time reading!

62. Iglika says:

Χριστός Ανέστη, Κατερινα!

64. Looks delicious! Love the flavors.

66. Sissi says:

Lovely post, Katerina. Your muffins look marvellous. I like the idea to combine spinach and feta and goat cheese.

68. Ξανθή says:

Χριστός Ανέστη και Χρόνια Πολλά!!
    Πολύ ωραία πρόταση αποτοξίνωσης!!

70. kiki says:

Ωραία πρόταση Κατερίνα!
    Χρόνια πολλά!

72. these are absolutely lovely! they sound wonderfully delicious and your photos are gorgeous, I wish someone would make these for me for mother’s day!

74. I love that you “changed the heck out of it” lol! Great recipe..

These savory muffins are perfect for brunch…I love that you made into individual size…and the tomato in the middle really adds a nice color and touch to the muffin.
    Have a lovely week Katerina :)

78. Dianna says:

I love the flavor of goat cheese with spinach. I’m also a big fan of savory muffins! These sound like something I’d definitely make. A very sweet ode to mothers, and a lovely recipe. Thanks for sharing!

80. Suzanne says:

I love the idea of savory muffins!

82. mia maria says:

Πολύ όμορφα τα μαφινάκια Κατερίνα μου!
    Πόσο αληθινά τα λόγια σου για το δεσμό μεταξύ μητέρας και παιδιού!

84. This is a wonderful idea for a quick breakfast! I often make spinach/goat cheese omelettes in the morning, but this could be a nice twist on that when we’re out of eggs. :) I also love the one little cherry tomato topping in the center of each muffin!

86. It’s true, connection between mother and a child is strong. I can see m friends and their children, it’s amazing. And I like your muffins, it looks so cute with tomato on top :)

88. Pepi says:

Θα πρέπει να είναι πολύυυυυυυυυυυ νόοοοοοοοοοστιμο!!!!!!

90. I am SO making these this week. My family will gobble them right down!

92. These muffins look so wonderful. And I agree, raising children to be useful helpful caring people is difficult. But when you see those glimmers of it paying off, so worth it!

96. katie says:

Oh wow these muffins sound AMAZING!