Pseftiés (Lies, The Savory Version)

Psefties.jpeg

I am sure that there is not a single person in this earth, who hasn’t lied more than once in his/her life. I cannot even remember how many lies big ones or small ones I have said in my 43 years of living. What about you?

When I was 5 years old, I didn’t like my name. Katerina is a quite common name in Greece. It is the equivalent of Catherine in English. So, one summer when we were on vacations, I met another girl of my age and I told her that my name was Therese. Don’t ask me why I picked that name, I have no idea. I guess back then it sounded exotic and unusual to my 5 year old ears.

Psefties.jpeg

And then one day that girl saw my mom at the beach and asked her were Therese was. Of course my mom told her that she knew no Therese, but the girl insisted that she was talking about her daughter Therese. My mom, of course, explained to her that she indeed had a daughter, but her name was Katerina and not Therese. And at that specific point the fable I created around me collapsed instantly. Afterwards, I got the usual preaching of why we should not tell lies to other people and all the consequences of such an act.

Well, to be honest with you I haven’t lied about my name since then, but there were occasions in my life in which I had to lie for some reason. From the time I grew up and left teenage years behind me, I tried and still try to minimize this as much as possible, striving to be as honest as I can get. Most of the times I succeed, but there are these very few moments that a lie seems better than the truth. Sometimes truth is really very hard to endure and thus a lie helps you or other people to accept the truth slowly, slowly.

Psefties.jpeg

This is why I picked this recipe today. This is a reminder of all the lies I said in my life and all the ones I am trying not to say.

Now, there are two kinds of Pseftiés (Lies), the sweet Pseftiés that are made in Cephalonia a beautiful Greek island surrounded by the Ionian Sea and the savory Pseftiés that come from another beautiful island Cyprus. In this post I will present the savory lies from Cyprus. Cyprus is a beautiful country/island in the southern part of Mediterranean Sea with very tasty and unique kitchen. This recipe comes from here. So, hang in there, there are many lies to eat in this and in the coming posts lol.

Psefties.jpeg

Pseftiés (Lies, The Savory Version)

1 kilo/2 lb. potatoes

300 gr. /11 oz. halloumi cheese, grated

2 tsp dried mint

1 onion, chopped

Salt and pepper

3 cups of olive oil for frying

Flour for the Pseftiés

Psefties.jpeg

Peel the potatoes.

Boil them until they become soft.

Mash them finely as if you were making mashed potatoes.

Add the grated halloumi.

Add the onion, the mint, salt and pepper and knead everything together.

Psefties.jpeg

Make small balls.

Put them in the fridge and let them stay there for an hour.

Take them out of the fridge and flour them. You can flour them before refrigerating them, as I did.

Psefties.jpeg

In a pot pour the 3 cups of olive oil in high heat.

When the oil is ready fry them.

I accompanied them with honey-mustard sauce I had in fridge, but you can eat them with tzatziki or any other sauce you like!

Psefties.jpeg

5.0 from 10 reviews

Pseftiés (Lies, The Savory Version)

Recipe type/ Τύπος Πιάτου: Appetizer

• 1 kilo/2 lb. potatoes
  • 300 gr. /11 oz. halloumi cheese, grated
  • 2 tsp dried mint
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 cups of olive oil for frying
  • Flour for the Pseftiés

1. Peel the potatoes.
  2. Boil them until they become soft.
  3. Mash them finely as if you were making mashed potatoes.
  4. Add the grated halloumi.
  5. Add the onion, the mint, salt and pepper and knead everything together.
  6. Make small balls.
  7. Put them in the fridge and let them stay there for an hour.
  8. Take them out of the fridge and flour them. You can flour them before refrigerating them as I did.
  9. In a pot pour the 3 cups of olive oil in high heat.
  10. When the oil is ready fry them.
  11. Please pay attention here. Do not put many balls in the pot, as it will be difficult for you to turn them.
  12. Since they are quite fragile, I put only four per batch, so as to have plenty of space to maneuver. Also, for the first batch the heat must be high, but for the following batches you have to decrease the fire by one point, because the oil is getting too hot and they will be burnt.

57 Responses to Pseftiés (Lies, The Savory Version)

I had to smile at your story because I did the same thing at an even younger age. I would tell people my name was Landy and not Susan. Where I heard Landy, I’ll never know, because it’s not a common name at all.

Delicious potato treats and that is no lie!

3. Balvinder says:

I think we lie everyday and don’t even know about it. When you don’t want to talk to someone, see that name on the caller ID, don’t pick up the one and then later we say, Oh I missed your call’.
    On the other note these psefties look wonderful, I have yet to try haloumi cheese.

5. Lana says:

What a great story. I liked my name but was not pleased that my parents chose to not gve me a middle name so I was always making up a new middle name!

Your Pseftiés sound wonderful. I love anything potato and add a bit of cheese with it and that’s even better!

7. Sissi says:

What a funny name! They look delicious and so rich! You have reminded me I still haven’t tasted halloumi cheese…. I always forget to buy it when I go to the only shop which sells it.

9. Katerina! You made me smile! Those are the cutest lies I’ve ever seen! :)

11. Hi There – I left a comment but it doesn’t appear to have come through. I wonder if it went into spam? Anyway, these look totally delicious, and this is such a cute story too.

13. Julie says:

Love the story about your name. These look so good. I love learning about new foods. I just went to a wine and cheese tasting last week and tasted halloumi Cheese for the first time, I think it sounds perfect for this dish.

15. Ambreen says:

Such a cute story, Katerina! I really loved reading this post. What an interesting name of the dish, the savory lies look fantastic :)

17. Xara says:

Hi Katerina,or should I say Therese?lol..Very funny story..Very tasty and crunchy your appetizers..I’m soooo craving them now..Thank goodness browsing doesn’t add calories..

19. Kathy says:

Katerina, These look incredible…wow! I would love to have a few right now! I love halloumi cheese …the way it melts…yum!

21. Miriam says:

Great story!! The “lies,” are lovely **wink**
    Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

23. These are something that I would definitely love to try ASAP.

25. Kanan says:

these looks simply fantastic.. just love this

Oh, these lies look irresistible! Frying in olive oil must add another amazing flavor to these already fabulous potato cakes. My family would go nuts for these!!! Can’t wait to see your sweet version, too~

29. Marion says:

χιχι… πολύ ωραία η εισαγωγή σου. Προσπαθούσα να φέρω τη σκηνή στο μυαλό μου που το άλλο κοριτσάκι ρωτούσε τη μαμα σου τι κανει η Τερέζα..
    Τα μικρά ψεματάκια είναι άκακα..

¨Οσο για τους ψευτο κεφτέδες σου καθόλου άκακους δεν τους βρίσκω γιατί θα θέλω να τους φάω όλους και αυτό δεν είναι καλό..:)
    Το χαλούμι το χρησιμοποιείς αρκετά βλέπω..δεν είναι τυχαίο.
    Θα τους δοκιμάσω.

Φιλιά πολλά dear Therese :))

31. Nadji says:

Katerina est un très joli prénom.
    Je suis prête à faire des pseftiés et à manger tous les mensonges qui vont avec.
    Délicieuse recette.
    A bientôt

33. Catherine says:

Dear Katerina, I enjoyed reading your post. I think we have all found ourselves in stressful moments like that, but these are the kind of lies I don’t mind keeping. ;)What a delicious way to prepare potatoes. I would like to try this soon. Blessings my dear one, your friend, Catherine xoxo

35. Sandi says:

Delicious, as always :)

37. ping says:

How on earth do you keep your weight down with foods like this and the filo sweets? I’m so tempted by this (I love potatoes any which way) …. oooh … that crisp outer layer ….

39. Sutapa says:

Katerina some lies are sweet, some are beautiful and some are perfect… and person with a clear heart experiment with them coz they know it will not hurt and harm anybody! Your recipe is perfect and beautiful like your soft sweet lies…!

42. Margarita says:

I have contemplated about lying about my name so many times when I was younger and I would have if I came up with a super cool name, but I never did. Lol! This post cracked me up… Lies cannot be helped, they are necessary for survival just like these potato cheese babies that you made!

44. Reeni says:

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies. . . these look insanely good Katerina! I love your name – it’s very pretty. I have always hated my real name – Irene – and always have. I’m trying to appreciate it more since it’s a family name.

46. these look delicious, i’ve never had that cheese before, i defintely want to try!

48. Faith says:

Loved reading this post, Katerina. (And I have to say, I love your pretty name…as a kid I hated my name too. :) ) This dish looks completely delicious and it’s name is such a conversation starter!

50. Barbara says:

(Do little white lies count? I still am guilty of that.)
    Love the name of these little potato cakes. Very much like my mother’s potato pancakes except for the cheese. Really love that idea, Katerina!

52. Debra says:

Kind of like my real name (Debra) and my blog name (Eliot)? :) What a cute story. These little fried dumplings look delicious. Thanks for sharing another authentic Greek recipe!

54. love2dine says:

That platter looks awesome!

56. Jeannie says:

That looks delicious, and that’s a truth!:D I love potatoes and this would make a great side dish!

58. When I saw this picture, I was hoping it’s something to do with potatoes because I love them, and these bolls look like made of potatoes…and they were! Look so delicious!!! I have never tried halloumi cheese before but it’s worth time to look for it for this delicious food!

60. Kate says:

I am a fabulous liar – probably from my talent for acting, which is really just a form of lying.

62. Tienen un aspecto estupendo me encantan las papas …lindas fotos ,muchos saludos y abrazos hugs,hugs.

64. Great post and tasty looking dish!

66. I like the use of halloumi and how simple this recipe is. I have bookmarked it to try. Thanks.

68. Asmita says:

This looks super yummy!

71. Cucina49 says:

I love your story–I did something quite similar as a child. And those little puffs–they look so savory and amazing!

So funny about your name…just curious…do you still like the name Therese? I can imagine your mom’s face when the little girl asked for Therese :)
    Anyway, this potatoes balls, look great…especially with the cheese and mint…something that would be a hit here at home.
    Have a great week Katerina…

75. Vita says:

Όλα τα παιδάκια λένε ψεματάκια. Συνήθως όμως των παιδιών είναι ανώδυνα. Κι εμείς ψευτοκεφτέδες λέμε τους κεφτέδες χωρίς κιμά!

77. I could spend an afternoon munching on these…telling lies. And that is no lie 😉 Looking forward to the sweet version too.

79. These look so good. Yumm!!!

81. No one would mind these lies…they are a good thing.

83. What an interesting name for food! I`ve never tried halloumi cheese, but been keep hearing about how good it is. Now I wish there were any Greek restaurant here where I could try the Greece delicacies!

My cousin and I used to tell people that we were twins. We even made up matching names…it was ridiculous. :)

These little treats look so delicious!

87. LinsFood says:

Love your anecdote! This is a wonderful recipe, definitely one to try!

What a cute story! Your psefties look delicious.

91. CCU says:

I don’t lie when I say that once more your dishes have mebegging for more 😀
    Gorgeous!

Cheers
    CCU

93. Ξανθή says:

Καλημέρα Κατερίνα, δεν ήξερα αυτή την ονομασία για τα κεφτεδάκια, σημασία έχει ότι μου άρεσαν πολύ και θα τα φτιάξω.

95. kiki says:

Ούτε εμένα μου άρεσε (και ακόμα…) το όνομά μου! Πολύ ωραία τα πατατομπαλάκια!

97. Z. says:

:) Και στην κόρη μου δεν άρεσε το όνομά της, αλλά αντίθετα από εσένα, της άρεσε, και ήθελε να τη λέμε Κατερίνα!:)

Ωραίες οι “ψευτιές” σου!

Ζ.

99. Ola says:

I bought halloumi cheese lately so maybe I will use it for this recipe, thanks!
    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

101. Απόλυτα καλοδεχούμενες οι ψευτιές σου Κατερίνα μου!
    Δεν γνώριζα τη συγκεκριμένη συνταγή, υποθέτω ότι το όνομα παραπέμπει σε ψευτοκεφτέδες, καθώς απουσιάζει ο κιμάς;
    Όπως και να έχει φαίνονται πεντανόστιμες και με τη σος που τις σέρβιρες ακόμα πιο λαχταριστές!
    Φιλιά!

103. I didn’t like my name when I was little either. I think getting caught was a good thing when you are small. But no lie, those potato patties look amazing!

105. ΕΛΕΝΗ says:

Καλησπέρα Κατερίνα μου!Γέλασα με την εισαγωγή σου, το όνομά σου είναι πάρα πολύ ωραίο, έτσι λενε και την αδερφή μου!
    Τη συνταγή δε τη γνώριζα , πάντως φαίνονται θεικές οι ψευτιές!!!
    Φιλάκια πολλά!

107. Julie M. says:

These look absolutely delicious Therese (err, I mean Katerina)! We definitely all have a few memorable lies we remember. Some more recent than others. :) I think I could tell a lie right now if it meant I’d get a plate of these Pseftes!

109. Those potato lies look very delicious! 😉 I didn’t lie about that.

111. Pela says:

Καλησπέρα Κατερινάκι μου που δε σου άρεζε και το ωραιότατο όνομά σου!
    Δεν τις είχα ξανακούσει τις ψευτιές, πάντως φαίνονται νοστιμότατες και εύκολες οπότε θα δοκιμαστούν!
    φιλιά και καλή εβδομάδα!